MSc Research Scholarship at Swansea University is currently open. The program is in Engineering. MSc Research Scholarship at Swansea University is a Fully Funded M2A MSc by Research Scholarship: Understanding the sanitizing efficacy of a new, environmentally friendly hot tub water treatment product, eco3pa
Start date: October 2024
Supervisors: Dr Geertje van Keulen, Dr Chiedly Tizaoui and Dr Chris O. Phillips
Sponsoring company: SureSpa Ltd
Degree Level: Master
Value of Award: Full cost of UK tuition fees, plus a stipend
SureSpa Ltd started a groundbreaking, active oxygen based hot tub water treatment product, eco3spa, onto the market in February 2019. Since the product launch online sales have gone up very quickly and dealers have been recruited all through the UK, France and now Germany.
The fame of the product generated from the fact that it is free of both chlorine and bromine, which are bad for the environment and often cause unfriendly odor and skin irritation. Also, there is no need to continuously test the water and balance the total alkalinity and pH, as is required when using chlorine, thus making the hot tub significantly easier to maintain.
It is imperative that independent and validated test data is available to prove that a product is effective and safe for use.
eco3spa comprises of three components:
- A toxic, environmentally friendly Step 1 Cleaner which removes biofilm from the pipework prior to initial use.
- A Step 2 Conditioner, which has surfactants, extract of coconut, a pH stabilizer and enzymes.
- Step 3 Active Oxygen Sanitiser Tablets which are added to the water when the tub is initially filled and prior to each use to kill harmful bacteria.
An MSc research project was conducted at Swansea University during 2019/2020 to look at the sanitising and biofilm control efficacy of eco3spa with positive results. The study also looked at the effect of the Step 2 Conditioner on the performance of the active oxygen and appeared to show that, although the Conditioner didn’t reduce live bacterial replication it did appear to make the cells clump and switch to a viable but non-culturable state.
This new study will build on the previous research to further study the performance of active oxygen as an effective sanitiser over a period of time after it is added to the water and to look in much more detail at the role the Water Conditioner plays in the sanitation process.
- To determine the time dependency of how quickly the Step 3 Active Oxygen Tablets kills/inactivates living bacteria and how long after first and follow-on applications the active oxygen remains active in the water.
- To benchmark time dependency and residual activity of the product against chlorine.
- To (bio)chemically and microscopically analyze the Step 2 Water Conditioner to clarify the constituent parts and the effect (if any) of each of these chemical and enzyme components on the efficacy of the active oxygen in both killing/loss of viability of bacteria and preventing biofilm formation at a range of pH values and temperatures, as well as determine their effect on cell clumping and water clarification.
Eligibility for MSc Research Scholarship at Swansea University
Applications from applicants with an honors degree in biochemical engineering, biochemistry or microbiology (minimum level 2:1), or a combination of degree and equivalent experience to the same level are welcomed.
Normally, we would expect candidates to have met the University’s English Language requirements (e.g. IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5+ in each component) by point of application. For details on the University’s English Language entry requirements, please visit – http://www.swansea.ac.uk/admissions/englishlanguagerequirements/
Benefits of MSc Research Scholarship at Swansea University
The scholarship sponsors the full expenses of UK tuition fees, with an allowance of £12,500 p.a. for a year.
Please visit MSc Research Scholarship at Swansea University website for more information.
Click Apply Now for MSc Research Scholarship at Swansea University.