Top 10 Agricultural Colleges In South Africa 2022
Do you want to study agriculture at one of South Africa’s leading Agricultural Colleges In South Africa ? Don’t worry; we’ve decided to conduct the research on your behalf and have compiled a list of South Africa’s top 10 agricultural colleges.
Although not all of the agricultural colleges listed below specialize in agriculture, since that is our focus today, all of them are well-known for their technological innovations to learning and practicing agriculture in South Africa.
1. Grootfontein Agricultural Development Institute
Grootfontein is one of the oldest agricultural institute in South Africa being established in 1911. This South African agricultural college boasts of research history as a major contribution to livestock farming in the country.
Grootfontein offers a broad range of agricultural specializations such as
- National Diploma in Agriculture (NQF level 6) presented on-campus
- Skills training of new farmers and farm labourers (NQF level 2-4) presented off-campus
- Research & Technology Development
- Extension and Outreach
If you are a Farmer that craves after producing quality farm products, a course in Grootfontein will be of great value to you.
2. University Of Cape Town (UCT)
UCT makes the second on our list of best colleges for agriculture in South Africa. Getting a top notch curricular outline and practice in agriculture from UCT will make you a professional farmer.
Universityof Cape Town offers the following courses in the faculty of agriculture
- B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc.) Mathematics and Physical Science 6 (70-79)
- B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology
- B.Sc. Food Science
- B.Sc. Plant Pathology
- B.Sc. Agric Soil Science
- B.Sc. Agric Agronomy
- B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
- B.Sc. Geo-informatics
- B.Sc. Marine Biology
- B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology
- B.Sc. Ichthyology specializing in Aquaculture Mathematics and Physical Science 5 (60-69)
- National Diploma: Food Technology
- National Diploma: Forestry
- National Diploma: Oceanography
University of Cape Town offers quality education in any course of learning. If you want to fulfill all requirement to practice agriculture in South Africa, UCT has got you covered.
3. University Of Free State (UFS)
Any qualification degree from UFS will make you very competitive in the labour market and land you a good job. Taking on a course in agriculture is an evergreen investment that will bring return.
UFS approach to academic program is top notch with a high level of research relevance in the country.
UFS Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences Offers the following courses in agriculture.
- Agricultural Economics
- Wildlife and Grassland Sciences
- Centre for Sustainable Agriculture, Rural Development and Extension
- Soil, Crop and Climate Sciences
4. Elsenburg Agriculture Training College
Elsenburg college makes the 4th on our list of top rated agricultural colleges in South Africa because of their major concentration in proper cultivation of crops.
Moreover, their their diversity in proper teaching of Livestock farming has given them an edge over many South African agricultural colleges. Elsenburg is a specialized school of agriculture.
5. University Of Pretoria (UP)
UP is a multi-research institute situated in Pretoria. If you are interested in taking a course in agriculture with a focal leap of research. UP offers a broad range of courses in the Faulty of natural sciences and agriculture which includes :
- Actuarial Science
- Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development
- Animal and Wildlife Sciences
- Consumer and Food Sciences
- Plant and Soil Science
- Zoology and Entomology
6. Cedara Agricultural College
Cedara college they say is the oldest college of agriculture in South Africa, founded in 1905 partly by Thomas Robertson Sim.
This South African college of agriculture offers a 3-year National Diploma in Agricultural Management where students specialize in either Animal Production or Crop Production by the end of the third year.
Cedara College is also a specialized agricultural college that offers courses in:
- Veterinary Science
- Elementary Mathematics
- Farm Surveying
- Zoology, and Fish Husbandry.
7. Fort Cox College of Agriculture and Forestry (FCC)
FCC is a relatively small college that only specializes in agriculture and forestry. FCC does forestry students annual conferences where they host forestry students from other schools.
8. Stellenbosch University (SU)
Stellenbosch University often referred to as SU is a great Citadel of learning located in the heart of South Africa. Any degree bagged from SU is a world-class certificate.
In a nutshell I’m saying if you want to be a world-class farmer, pursue an agriculture degree at Stellenbosch University.
9. Nelson Mandela University (NMU)
Nelson Mandela University was formerly known as University of Port Elizabeth. NMU is arguably the oldest university in South Africa founded in the year 1882 as Port Elizabeth Art School.
Nelson Mandela University made a list of South African colleges for agriculture not because of the name but their systematic approach to agricultural learning and practices.
10. University Fort Hare
University Fort Hare is the 10th best agricultural college in South Africa. If you need to learn the ethics of animal and crop production, taking on a course in agriculture at UFH will take you there.
Fort Hare has a well structured curricular and extracurricular agricultural activities to facilitate your learning pace and environment.
Colleges Of Agriculture By Province
For the sake of students who can’t travel far to study, I have also made a list of South African colleges in each province.
Agricultural Colleges In Eastern Cape
- Tsolo College Of Agriculture
- Fort Corx
- Lovedale Public TVET
- Port Elizabeth
Agricultural Colleges In Free State
- Glen Agricultural College
Agricultural Colleges In Gauteng
- Southwest Gauteng TVET College
- Buhle Farmer’s Academy
- Potchefstroom Agricultural college
- Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Instutute
Agricultural Colleges In Kwazulu-Natal
- Cedara College of Agriculture
- Owen Sitole College of Agriculture
- Weston Agricultural College
Agricultural Colleges In Limpopo
- Tompi Seleka College of Agriculture
- Madzivhandila College of Agriculture
- Brooklyn city college, Polokwane
Agricultural Colleges In Mpumalanga
- Lowveld College of Agriculture
- Hygro Training College
- Buhler Farmer’s Academy
Agricultural Colleges In North West
- Potchefstroom Agricultural college
- Brits Agricultural College
Agricultural colleges in Northern Cape
- Grootfontein Agricultural College
- Northern Cape Urban TVET College
Agricultural Colleges in Western Cape
- College for Sustainable Agriculture
- Elsenburg College
Agriculture Colleges In Pretoria
- Agricultural Research Council Institute For Agricultural Engineering
- Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute
- TSHWANE NORTH COLLEGE
We encourage people to pursue agricultural knowledge since it is an evergreen recipe for our everyday life. Simply put, people aren’t going to quit eating.
This comprehensive list of Agricultural Colleges In South Africa, I hope, will assist you in choosing an agricultural career path.
CHECK THIS OUT :
Credit : Newshub360.net